sábado, 8 de enero de 2011

Food, food, and more food...

The first day of our trip, my friends and I had no idea where to go or what to eat so we spotted a McDonalds and ate our typical fattening American meal- french fries, chicken nuggets and soda. After being in the city for a few days we discovered the amazing food that is native to Argentina and we haven't looked back. McDonalds is a thing of the past...



Before coming to Argentina, I had several people rage about amazing the food in Buenos Aires. I am certainly not disappointed! The food is simply incredible. My favorite treat so far are small pastries that you can find at almost any local bakery (picture on the left). They are bite size cookies covered in either chocolate or powdered sugar with dolce de deleche in the middle of the 2 cookies. While small, it is easy to eat many in one sitting! There are two bakeries on Montevideo where I get these pastries. One place is called "Tutto Pane". This bakery has many delicious delights including croissants, cake, cookies, bread etc.


Another dessert I have fallen in love with in Buenos Aires is the ice cream or "helado". A hot spot to get ice cream is called "Freddo", and there are several throughout the city. Dolce de leche is a very popular flavor here. There is an entire column on the menu
of different types of dolce de leche. My personal favorite is dolce de leche "con brownie". It is rich, sweet, and creamy.

The dessert isn't the only amazing food though. I have loved all of the home cooked meals my host mom has made for me. One night we had steak, and I now know why Argentina is famous for meat! Epanadas are another favorite and something everyone should try while in Argentina. An epanada is a stuffed pastry that can be filled with meat and/ or vegetables. My favorite place to get epanadas is called "Mayoral" and is just around the corner from Vatel. They are very inexpensive (4 pesos= about 1 dollar) and have many different kinds. So far I have had one stuffed with meat and one with cheese, tomato, and basil. It is somewhat like a hot pocket in the United States, but shouldn't be compared because empanadas are far better.


File-Empanada_-_Stu_Spivack.jpg

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario